To determine the one correct tariff classification from among the more than 17,000 possibilities in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States is not a task for the faint of heart or the untrained; neither is importing goods with incorrect, invalid or obsolete tariff codes. Our tariff classification consultants will clean your data and reduce your risk with Customs through the following steps:
- Review your classification database to determine your compliance rate; it is not at all unusual to see error rates approaching 40%, so don’t be alarmed;
- Recommend a screening process to compress your database to only those items truly requiring classification;
- Work with your technical staff, drawings database, Bills of Material, service documentation, catalogs and technical specifications to determine the item attributes required to classify correctly;
- Deliver the file of correct classifications, each one annotated with the source of our data, the relevant GRI and any applicable Customs Rulings;
- Classify new items on an as-needed basis;
- Notify you of changes to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States as they are issued; and
- Stand behind our classifications; should you ever receive a CF28 Customs Request for Information on an item we have classified we will prepare the response to Customs and engage them as required should a CF29 Notice of Action be issued.
For more information about what Harmonized Tariff Services can do for your business, please review our Trade Agreement Services and Country of Origin Determinations.